A predictable start to a typical summer in my home in 2003, 2010, and 2015.
Eleven Year Old Boy: "I hate reading."
Frustrated Mother: "That's too bad. It is summertime, and you WILL read a book for fun!"
Maybe you can relate.
From a very young age, all of my boys loved having stories read to them; however, independent reading - purely for enjoyment - never blossomed in my home. And, THAT drove me crazy. Books of all kinds bring me immeasurable joy. I still don't get it.
If this sounds like your family, I feel your pain. And, better yet, I have a solution. For us, since I could never instill the individualistic love of literature, our best-enjoyed novels were ones we shared and read as a family. For us, this was much like a Book Club. And, there are many reasons Book Clubs are successful.
1. Being in a book club motivates a reader. People commit to the task and reading gets done.
2. Being in a book club engages readers. Each week there is an assigned amount of text, and readers must complete a specified number of chapters or pages.
3. Being in a book club promotes accountability. If others are expecting you to show up and participate, suddenly a reader has a reason to read.
4. Being in a book club fosters public speaking skills. Discussing a book, it's characters, setting, and theme with others allows a perfect opportunity to share ideas and communicate effectively.
5. Being in a book club is FUN! There are new friends to make, emotions and experiences to share, and always something to learn.
The goal remains the same for us as parents. We just want our children to read! Thankfully, this summer we can get them to do just that despite the type of reader they may be.
And, if you are as lucky as I was, your child may finish his book and say, "Well. That wasn't so bad. As far as books go, it was okay."
Check out this list of books your child might enjoy this summer, and PLEASE add any book titles of your own in the comments below.
To sign up and join a Summer Book Club hosted by me, please go to:
2018 Summer Book Club
Have a wonderful summer!
Melissa Webb is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Author: Melissa Webb
CA Credentialed Teacher